The long-awaited move-in day is here (or near) for most college students. While you may have spent hours shopping for the perfect dorm room décor—new bedding, accessories, organizational tools—here are a few quick, easy and inexpensive DIY projects that will make any dorm room the envy of the floor.
Top Five Dorm Decoration Hacks
- Add a pop of color with DIY pillows—Dinner napkins, handkerchiefs, or any fabric scrap make the perfect covers for throw pillows. Use VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics to connect two squares of fabric, pop in an inexpensive pillow insert, and voila! The best part? When laundry day rolls around, just pull apart the fastener and drop the pillow covers into the washer. The fastener is permanent, so no need to worry about it coming off in the wash.
- Add artwork to those white, stucco walls—VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back fasteners are the easiest way to hang framed artwork, posters and family photos. They’re also a great tool for creating a monthly calendar to keep track of class schedules, football games and those dreaded mid-terms and finals.
- Cut the cord clutter—VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Ties are perfect for organizing the mess of cords that come with today’s technology. The precut ties come in a variety of colors so you can color-code wires, cords, and cables, and better yet—they are available in different sizes to handle thin wires and bulky cables!
- Keep bathroom essentials in one place—It’s a pain to lug all your bathroom products down the hall to the showers. VELCRO® Brand PRESS-LOK Bags are great for organizing toiletries, hair tools, and makeup. The clear bags are sturdy and resealable, and the durable plastic makes them easy to clean, too.
- Update a boring lampshade—Wrap VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back Tape around a plain white lampshade, then add ribbon or fabric for another fun pattern play. These fasteners are also great for hanging fabric to cover messy closets and cubbies.
Find us at @VelcroBrand on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to share your latest hacks. For more tips on how to organize and decorate your dorm room, visit Velcro.com.