The VELCRO® Brand is loved around the globe and a registered trademark in almost every country. To protect our trademark, it must be used properly at all times. Learn more about how and when to use our iconic trademark.
The Invention of Hook & Loop
In 1941, George de Mestral conceived the idea for hook & loop fasteners with inspiration from burdock burrs clinging to his dog’s fur and his clothing.
Origin of the VELCRO® Trademark
The VELCRO® trademark was created by combining the French words “VELour” and “CROchet” which translate to “Velvet” and “Hook”, respectively.
The Trademark was first registered
The VELCRO® trademark was registered in Switzerland in 1956 and in the United States in 1958.
Velcro Companies currently has 1,332 registered trademarks worldwide.
Trademarks by Country
The VELCRO® trademark is one of the most famous trademarks in the world. It’s registered in approximately 130 countries.
1. The VELCRO® mark can be used only in connection with genuine VELCRO® Brand products. Do not use the VELCRO® mark in any manner with third party product, including, without limitation, by using the phrase “Velcro-like,” or other comparative manner.
2. The VELCRO® mark must always be used in the following format:
a. Capitalize the trademark and always follow with the registration symbol ®.
b. Put the word “Brand” after the registration symbol, for example, “VELCRO® Brand.”
c. The designation “VELCRO® Brand” must be followed by the generic name of the fastener or tape, such as “hook and loop fastener”, “fastener” or “closure.” For example, “Our product features VELCRO® Brand fasteners.”
3. Never incorporate the VELCRO® trademark or any part of the trademark, such as a VEL- prefix, into your or a third party’s company name, product name or model number, or to create a new brand or trademark.
4. Never hyphenate or abbreviate the VELCRO® mark.
5. All Velcro Companies’ product trademarks, such as ONE-WRAP®, PRESS-LOK®, VELSTRAP®, etc. must always be used in the following format:
a. Capitalize the trademark and always following with the registration symbol ®.
b. The product mark must always be preceded by the VELCRO® trademark, for example: “VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP®”.
c. The trademark designation must be followed by the generic name of the product, for example, “VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® straps”, “VELCRO® Brand PRESS-LOK® fasteners”.
6. Always include the following trademark notice at least one place on every website or print collateral where the VELCRO® mark is used:
“VELCRO® is a registered trademark of Velcro IP Holdings LLC. Used with permission.”
Include all the Velcro Companies’ trademarks that you are using in the notice.
7. When referring to the manufacturer of VELCRO® Brand products, always use the designation “Velcro Companies.” Do not capitalize the entire word “Velcro,” do not use the ® registration symbol, and do not use the company name/trademark “Velcro” alone.
Patents & Trademarks
The following are some of the trademarks owned by Velcro IP Holdings LLC.:
THERE IS ONLY ONE®
V BUTTON® (DESIGN)
V VELCRO® (AND DESIGN)
Throughout this web site, where the ® symbol is indicated, the symbol refers to a U.S. registration.
Proper use of trademarks
Velcro Companies requires our customers to properly use and acknowledge our trademarks.
If you use genuine VELCRO® Brand fasteners, we ask that you reference the trademark in the following manner:
These products are offered for sale around the world. ©2021 Velcro IP Holdings LLC All rights reserved. All documents and images published at this site are the property of Velcro IP Holdings LLC or are being used with permission. No part of these documents may be reproduced or transmitted in any form (other than from this original World Wide Web server for the sole purpose of on-line viewing) without the express written permission of Velcro IP Holdings LLC. VELCRO® and other marks are registered trademarks of Velcro IP Holdings LLC.