Our commitment to sustainability is an investment in our collective future. It means meeting our present needs while preserving the planet for those who come after us. Our goal: A brighter future for our customers, our suppliers, our employees, and our neighbors.
Sustainable Manufacturing Processes
Our production methods economize energy use and provide better quality products. Every day, our sustainable manufacturing processes demonstrate our pledge to incorporate sustainability in everything we do:
- We were the first in our industry to remove solvents from coating processes and the first to substantially reduce the use of heavy metals.
- Recycled non-contact cooling water cools down the dye equipment. Heat from dye process wastewater is recovered by heat exchangers and used to pre-heat incoming water. Outgoing water is clean, cold, and compliant with all environmental standards.
- Efficient thermal management processes keep our nylon fibers at optimum temperature and moisture conditions no matter what the weather.
- In Europe, Waste Water from our dying processes is treated and reused, reducing water consumption by 50%.
- The Velcro Companies utilize many different methods to minimize energy consumption including energy efficient lighting, occupancy sensors and daylight harvesting.
- We divert over 54% of our solid waste from the landfill globally. These materials are either recycled, down cycled or used to create energy.
- When developing new products we consider input materials that minimize impact to the environment as well as the overall product life cycle impacts.
We regularly partner with consultants, customers, suppliers, and neighbors to rethink how we can positively affect our environment – and then put those ideas into motion.
ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standards
Velcro Companies is ISO 14001 certified for our environmental management system (EMS). Since 2003, we have met or exceeded our annual goals while managing more than 1,300 environmental initiatives. We have reduced our overall environmental impact by 25% while simultaneously expanding our manufacturing capacity. By expanding our EMS, we are able to minimize our impact on our natural environment, control costs, and produce higher-quality products with greater efficiency.