Forget the days of carrying your worn out Peanuts pillowcase as a treat bag — you’re a modern mama and your kiddo’s treat bag is almost chic enough for you to wear. At least, it is if it’s one of these three modern treat bags for stylish tots!
This project turns basic canvas totes into spooky (but still cute) treat bags for a candy-filled adventure. If you plan on attending a lot of different Halloween festivities, it’s easy to create one bag and use the ghost, cat and jack-o-lantern props interchangeable for three different looks.
Ready to get making?
– canvas totes
– glitter foam sheets (silver, gold, purple)
– fabric paint (orange, black, silver)
– glitter (orange, black, silver)
– VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics
– foam brush
– painter’s tape
Because most of the parents we know don’t have tons of time to spend making bags from scratch, we decided to trick out a canvas totes. We bet you have one or two… or ten of these lying around the house, especially if you’re a California resident.
CREATE DIY HALLOWEEN TREAT BAGS
1. First, we’ll dip our totes in paint and glitter.
2. Tape off a design of your choosing. Then paint! Sprinkle glitter on while paint is still wet. Let dry for an hour or two, then peel off the tape. We did the same with an orange design, and a silver design.
3. Now, time to cut out your props. We started with a glittery purple cat.
4. We’ve got eyes, a nose, whiskers and a mouth. Line everything up.
5. Then, attach each piece with VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics. We easily cut our fasteners down to size in a matter of minutes. Then use a larger section of the fastener to create a closure for your bag. No one wants to lose all those Snickers minis!
6. Then we did the same with a ghost.
7. And a Jack-O-Lantern!
Boo! There they all are.
We know what you’re thinking — those are some jumbo size treat bags! Well, you’ve gotta make sure they’re big enough to get a little extra candy for the parents, you know? Plus, they can easily be worn across the chest, making sure they don’t fall on the ground too easily.