Spring is a time of year when many gardeners look at their flower garden and think, “it could be better”. It might have to do with plant selection, use of pathways, or just better maintenance. Luckily there are some tips that will help you be a better flower gardener that aren’t hard to learn or apply. Here are some techniques to use to make your flower garden shine.
- Don’t Be a Collector– Most gardeners, myself included, love to purchase one of this and one of that when buying varieties. They may all be interesting plants individually, but when planted in the garden they may not look great together. It’s best to limit the diversity of varieties and buy more of them. Try buying 3, 5, or 7 of one variety and group them together for a more uniform look.
- Repeat Plants and Colors– Color is very subjective in a garden, but in general, if you can repeat the same plants or the same colors throughout your flower garden, it will look more pleasing to the eye.
- Different Colors for Different Views– Plant colors that you love. After all it’s your garden! But remember bright colors, such as red, orange and yellow, really pop in a garden. They’re best viewed from a distance, such as across a lawn or from the sidewalk. When viewed up close en mass, they can be overwhelming. On the other hand, pastel colors, such as white, cream, pink and blue, are best viewed up close such as along the house or walkway. When viewed from a distance, they wash out.
- Remember Height– Plant tall plants, such as goat’s beard, climbing roses, hollyhocks and delphiniums, in the rear of your garden and then decrease the height of the plants as you come forward. Use VELCRO® Brand Garden Ties to keep tall plants upright and looking great.
- Ornament Your Garden– Add personal touches, such as artwork, sculpture, structures, decorative containers and water features, to make the garden feel like your own.
Stay tuned for more exciting gardening projects and tips this Spring!
|VELCRO® Brand Garden Ties
45ft long x 1/2 inch wide
Now Just $3.99