Light up the BBQ and get these burgers on the grill… oh wait– scratch that! Though these burgers look good enough to eat, we promise your kids will enjoy playing with this more! In this easy sewing tutorial, we’ll show you how to make this DIY felt play food. We’ve included a burger with all the fixings and a plate of french fries – the quintessential BBQ food.
We’ve even added free felt food patterns! So without further adieu, let’s learn how to make this delicious-looking plate!
How to Make Felt Play Food:
What You’ll Need:
- Felt burger pattern printout
- Paper food basket printout
- (1) 8×10 felt sheet of each of the following colors:
- light tan
- dark green
- lime green
- VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Ovals
- Fabric glue
- Permanent Marker
- Small amount of stuffing
- Brown embroidery floss
- Orange embroidery floss
- To start, print out the felt burger pattern, cut out the paper shapes, and trace them on a corresponding felt sheet. Once you’ve outlined them, it’s time to cut out the felt pieces.
The Bun and Burger
- To make the burger bun, thread a needle with brown embroidery floss. Then sew a straight stitch around the circumference.
Before tying off, cinch the thread slightly, so the fabric puckers to form a puffy “mushroom top.” (This will be a basting stitch and will be removed later, so make your stitches wide.)
- Using a blanket stitch, sew the smaller bun piece to the top.
Fill the bun with an inch of stuffing before completion. Then remove the basting stitch.
- For the bottom bun, take your rectangle and sew a blanket stitch around one of the circle pieces.
When you’re finished with the circle, sew the rectangle to the top of the bun. Fill the bun with an inch of stuffing before completion.
- To make the burger patty, use brown felt and embroidery thread. Then repeat step 4.
Using a permanent marker, draw “grill lines” on the burger.
- Assemble the tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, and avocado slices using fabric glue.
- Sew the yolk to the egg white using a whip stitch. Then add a little stuffing before completion.
Assemble The Burger
- Take the VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Ovals and place one hook coin to the bottom of every food (except for the bottom bun).
- To make the french fries, cut a 4” x 1.5” piece of light tan fabric and layer one side with fabric glue.
Next, tightly roll up the strip lengthwise.
Fold the rolled strip accordion-style and position clips to hold the creases closed.
Remove the clips when the glue is dry to reveal a crinkle-cut french fry.
- Print and cut out the food basket on a sheet of cardstock. Fold and glue together.
And that’s it! With this DIY felt play food, your kids are ready to grill alongside you!
If you’d like to try this crafting tutorial yourself, pick up a pack of VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Ovals. And for more easy sewing projects, stay on our blog!
- How to Make a DIY Hand Sanitizer Holder
- How to DIY A Mermaid Towel Wrap
- How to Make Sleeve Scrunchies