Many people have wondered: Who invented VELCRO® Brand hook and loop? It began with a burdock burr, a tiny seed covered in hundreds of 'hooks' that naturally catch onto the microscopic loops that cover fur, hair and clothing. The burr was an unassuming marvel of nature and a minor headache for man, until one day in 1941 when the burdock burr, Swiss engineer George de Mestral, and his dog crossed paths on a hunting trip in the Alps.
Seventy years on, that chance meeting has proven to be remarkably fruitful.
The Invention and Impact of VELCRO® Brand Hook and Loop Fasteners
Inspired by the burr, de Mestral created the world's first hook-and-loop fastener. De Mestral originally envisioned VELCRO® Brand hook and loop as a fastener for clothing. Today it is being utilized across a wide range of industries, from healthcare to your garage to the military. While each VELCRO® Brand product is built for a specific task, the principal mechanics remain the same. Just think: the VELCRO® Brand solutions that keep your tablet device mounted to the wall are based on the same principles as the ones that NASA uses to keep their dinner plates from floating in zero gravity space.
Ever since George de Mestral’s invention of hook and loop
in the 1940s, the VELCRO® brand has represented hook and loop material and characterized other connecting products of the finest and most trusted quality. The VELCRO® mark is the subject of over 200 trademark registrations in over 150 countries worldwide, and we take pride in its fame and heritage.
Today, Velcro Companies continues to be the original and premier manufacturer and innovator of hook and loop fasteners. We are always tinkering with the VELCRO® Brand concept to find new and interesting ways to use our products and solutions—at home, at work and at play.
With worldwide locations and a presence in more than forty countries, we’ll never be short of ideas, idea-makers, or uncharted territories to explore.
- VELCRO® Brand hook and loop is used for applications ranging from agricultural to industrial cleaning to transportation. For example, VELCRO® Brand hook and loop secures the AstroTurf at a professional football stadium and secures Kevlar plates in U.S. military apparel.
- Velcro Companies serves a variety of industries including:
- Medical and Healthcare
- Personal Care
- Velcro Companies own over 400 active Patents for its product line
For further information regarding registered trademark use for the VELCRO® brand, please visit Patents & Trademarks
or scroll below.
About Our Trademark
Below are guidelines for the proper use of the VELCRO® trademark, which assists us in safeguarding the integrity of the VELCRO® brand, and helps to protect consumers from products incorrectly sold as VELCRO® brand products.
We ask that you use the VELCRO® mark in accordance with the following guidelines:
1. Use the VELCRO® mark only in connection with genuine VELCRO® brand fasteners. Identify non-VELCRO® brand products by their common terms, including “hook and loop,” “touch fasteners,” “self-adhesive straps,” and so forth.
2. When referring to genuine VELCRO® brand products, use the registration symbol (®) and the word "brand" directly following the trademark. Where possible, capitalize the mark. Example: “VELCRO® brand.”
3. Follow the word "brand” with the correct generic term for the fastener or other product. For example, you might say, "Our product features genuine VELCRO® brand touch fasteners."
4. Always use the VELCRO® mark as an adjective, and never as a noun or a verb. When referring to non-VELCRO® brand hook and loop, do not use the VELCRO® mark. Examples:
Incorrect: “She prefers velcro to buttons or zippers.”
Correct: “She prefers VELCRO® brand fasteners to buttons or zippers”
Incorrect: “He leaned down to velcro his shoes.”
Correct: “He leaned down to fasten his shoes.”
5. Where possible, include a trademark notice that says: "VELCRO® is a registered trademark of VelcroIndustries B. V."
If you have any questions about these use guidelines, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
The Velcro Companies Innovation and Technology Center is a worldwide organization that meets the demands of the global marketplace through product and process development in woven and knit textiles, continuous plastic molding, non-woven loops, and a variety of other fastener technologies.
As pioneers in hook and loop fastener technology, we are the original patent holder of U.S. Patent 2,717,437 filed on October 15, 1952.
Today, Velcro Companies strives to be the dominant innovator in fastening technology through efficient and creative solutions. With over 300 active patents worldwide and more than 50 years of experience, we are proud of our heritage of innovation and ability to satisfy our customers’ needs.