When it comes to summer, we’re all about taking our parties, dinners and other get-togethers outside. But we’re also into staying comfy when we’re in our backyards, on our porches or in the courtyard here at Brit HQ. Enter the art of the quick and easy seat cushion! We’ve teamed up with Velcro Industries to take our now-signature Color-Dipped Chairs up a notch with colorful patterned fabrics. Read on to see how it’s done!
– 1 inch foam (or thicker depending on how cushy you want your seat to be)
– VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Strap
– sewing machine
– sewing scissors
– measuring tape
1. Measure the seat of your chair (ours is 12 x 14 inches).
2. Cut out a piece of foam that will fit on the seat (again, 12 x 14 inches).
3. Fold your fabric in half and then cut out a piece using the measurements of the seat, adding an inch and a half for the hem.
4. Cut out four strips of VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Strap approximately 4 inches long.
5. Place your fabric on the seat and determine where you want your straps.
6. Stick two straps together overlapping them by an inch and a half. Then place the strap, with the attached side in, between the two pieces of fabric with a half inch tail hanging out of the fabric. Pin this in place and do the same thing with the other two pieces of VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Strap on the other side of the cushion.
7. Sew around two of the open edges (the side with the fold doesn’t need to be sewn). Be sure to sew across the VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Straps to secure them.
8. Sew about halfway down the last side and then turn the cushion cover inside out. Iron if your fabric is wrinkled.
9. Insert the foam into the cushion cover and then whip stitch the open section.
10. Lay your cushion on the seat of the chair and attach the VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Straps to the back of the chair.
Ready, set, sew!
Measure the seat of your chair and cut it out of a piece of foam. Well that was easy!
Fold your fabric in half (printed side touching each other) this way there will be less sewing. Take your measurements from your chair and add 1 1/2 inches to both width and height. Measure and cut this new measurement from the fabric.
VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Straps are the perfect material for this project! Cut four pieces that measure four inches in length.
Place the fabric on your chair and mark where you will want to place your VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Strap. Every chair is different. If your chair doesn’t have slats you may have to attach the cushion to the sides.
Take two pieces of VELCRO® Brand ONE-WRAP® Pink Strap and overlap them about an inch. Bring the two ends together (to form a loop) and place it in between your fabric. Pin it in place leaving about 1/2 tail sticking out.
Time to sew! Sew about three and a half sides of your cushion. Remember one side is folded so don’t waste your time sewing ?
Turn your cover inside out and stuff in that foam! Make sure you smooth out all the corners!
Once your foam cushion is in place use a whip stitch to close up the open side.
Time to put this baby on a chair and take comfort to the next level!
Oh wait, but first check out these straps!
Outdoor BBQ anyone?
Help me! I’m thirsty!
These chairs are perfect for adults too!
Turkey Temple definitely approves.
What creative summer projects are on your to-make list? Talk to us in the comments below.