Get in the spooky spirit this Halloween with this cute DIY dragon costume!
In this easy sewing tutorial, we’ll show you how to make a unique dragon costume for your kids, using less than ten materials and, of course, our VELCRO® Brand Sew On Fasteners!
Your kids will be the best-dressed dragons, so what are you waiting for? Let’s get started!
How to Make A DIY Dragon Costume
What You’ll Need
- 1 Yard of fabric for scales and wings
- 1/2 Yard of solid fabric for the tail
- 1 Zip-up hooded sweatshirt
- 1 Pack of VELCRO® Brand Sew On Tape
- Polyester stuffing
- Sewing machine
1. To start, cut your fabric into eight large scales, ten small scales, and 20 tiny spikes.
2. Then, pin or clip the large scales together, right sides facing. Repeat this with the rest of the shapes.
3. Sew a ¼ inch inseam around all the shapes, leaving a small gap to turn out.
4. Next, you’ll be working on the wings. Place the scales aside. Tape several pieces of copy paper together and lay the hoodie on top. Extend one of the arms out and with a pen or pencil, freehand the wing shape. Then draw a ½ inch inseam.
5. Cut out two wing shapes, placing the side that sits against the body on the fold of the fabric.
6. Pin or clip the wing together and sew like below:
7. For the scales, you’ll want to pin them starting from the top of the hood, smallest to largest. Pin in place one tiny spike, five small scales, and four large scales. You’ll use the rest of the tiny spikes on the tail.
8. Next, sew the wings to the back of the sweatshirt. To do this, sew each side to the sleeve, leaving a small inseam. Then open the jacket to sew the wings to the torso.
9. To start the tail, measure the waist size and divide it in half (we’ll call this measurement X). Cut two strips of the solid cotton fabric 2 inches wide by X. Fold each strip in half lengthwise and sew along the top and sides.
Turn out and iron.
10. Cut 5 inches of VELCRO® Brand Sew On Tape and sew along all four sides.
11. Cut the tail pieces and lay one down. Then, take the tiny spikes and arrange them on the tail with the top facing down. Next, sandwich the second piece of fabric to the remaining material and pin or clip together.
12. Sew the scales to the tail with a ¼ inch inseam. Leave a gap at the bottom of the tail to turn out.
13. Fasten the hook and loop straps together and place them inside of the tail.
Take the ends of the belt and pin them to the sides of the tail.
14. Take your oval cut out and pin or clip it around the tail’s open end. Sew the tail, straps, and oval piece together.
15. Turn out the tail using the gap you made in step 11. Stuff the tail with Polyester stuffing and hand stitch the gap closed.
And that’s it! Dress your kids in this DIY dragon costume and get ready for them to roar!
Try this out for yourself and pick up a pack of VELCRO® Brand Sew On Fasteners. And for more halloween inspiration, stay on our blog!