Making a box cushion cover doesn’t have to be a complicated task. With this easy step-by-step tutorial, you can make a simple box cushion cover using VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Tape. All you need is fabric, foam, and a few basic tools!
Why Choose a Box Cushion Cover Without a Zipper?
Box cushion covers without zippers offer a minimalist look. If you prefer a simple aesthetic or if you’re looking for a quick sewing project, it’s a perfect project. By removing the need for a zipper, you can save time and effort while still achieving a professional-looking cushion cover.
Looking for something a bit more advanced? Check out our post on how to sew a cushion cover.
Tips for Making a Perfect Box Cushion Cover
Before we dive into the tutorial, here are a few tips to help you make a flawless box cushion cover:
- Measure accurately: Take precise measurements of your cushion to ensure a snug fit. Remember to account for seam allowances.
- Choose the right fabric: Opt for a cotton fabric that complements your décor. Consider using upholstery-weight fabric for added durability. If you want to use them as patio chair cushions DIY, we recommend picking a cotton blend. Then adding a waterproof spray to the fabric after the VELCRO® Brand Fastener has been applied.
- Use high-quality batting: The batting will provide extra cushioning and help give your cover a smooth and plump appearance. Select a batting that is appropriate for your desired level of comfort.
What You’ll Need:
- Fabric of your choice: Make sure you have enough fabric to cover your cushion with a little extra for folding allowances.
- Foam cushion: Measure and cut the foam according to the dimensions of your cushion.
- A pack of VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Tape
- The Basic Supplies:
- Batting: Choose a batting that matches the size of your foam cushion.
- Scissors or a rotary cutter: Sharp fabric scissors for cutting fabric and batting.
- Straight pins: These will help secure the fabric in place.
- Measuring tape or ruler: Essential for precise measurements.
- Iron: Used for pressing the fabric and creating crisp edges.
How to Make a Box Cushion Cover Without A Zipper
- Cut the Foam
Measure and cut the foam according to the dimensions of your cushion. Use a serrated knife or an electric foam cutter for clean and accurate cuts.
- Attach the Batting
Place the foam cushion on top of the batting. Wrap the batting tightly around the foam, smoothing out any wrinkles. Secure the batting in place with fabric adhesive.
- Set the Cushion Aside
Your cushion is now ready for the cover. Set it aside while you prepare the fabric.
- Measure and Cut the Fabric to Length
Measure the length, width, and height of your cushion. Add seam allowances to these measurements. Then take the pieces of fabric and cut them according to these dimensions.
- Wrap the Foam Like a Present
Place the foam cushion in the center of the fabric. Fold the fabric over the cushion, making sure the corners are neat and the fabric is taut. Pin the fabric along the edges to hold it in place.
- Apply the VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Tape
To secure the fabric, apply VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Tape to the overlapping edges. The adhesive tape is easy to use and securely holds the fabric in place without the need for a zipper.
And that’s it! You’ve made your no sew cushion covers with VELCRO® Brand Sticky Back for Fabrics Fasteners!
With just a little bit of time and creativity, you can create a beautiful box cushion cover without the hassle of adding a zipper.
Now you’re up to speed, it’s time to get crafty and make your own custom box cushion cover. Have fun because this DIY project adds a personal touch to your home! Looking for more DIY inspiration check out our crafting projects. If you try these out for yourself, don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @VelcroBrand and happy crafting!